Michael J. Geringer is a Professor of International Strategy at College of Business of Ohio University, previously a Professor of Strategy and International Business at the Orfalea College of Business at California Polytechnic State University at the time of conducting this interview. He has over 30 years of experience with research and consulting on strategic issues for private and public sector organizations worldwide. He has authored or edited 27 books and monographs (in English, French, Chinese and Indonesian) and published over 140 papers, including within Journal of International Business Studies, Academy of Management Journal, Thunderbird International Business Review, Strategic Management Journal, and Journal of Applied Psychology.
In this interview, he talks about how California Polytech came to use Cesim business simulation games, how did he integrate Cesim Global Challenge into his courses, and what was his overall experience of the process and the outcomes.
Questions of the interview
1. What got you interested in business games and when have you first used them in your class?
2. Tell me a little bit about your decision to integrate Cesim Global Challenge into your course. What type of course it was (blended, online classroom), topical focus, and in what ways did you intend the business simulator game to complement it?
3. How did your students react to the business strategy game? What was the overall engagement level with Cesim Global Challenge and what struck you as the most exciting thing in your students behavior during the course of the game?
4. What do you think your own role was during the management simulation game? How did you help your students get the most out of the experience?
5. What are some of the most important takeaways you have learned over the years about simulation based courses?
6. What tips or words of advice would you give to other educators who are planning to use business simulations in their course(s)?
Find out about other educators' simulation experience in our collection of expert interviews.